top of page

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

LMIA is a verification process that shows proof that no Canadian or permanent resident worker is able to fill a specific job position in Canada. If approved, employers in Canada can hire a foreign worker who will then be able to apply for an employer specific work permit.

 Please Note 

The program provides only a temporary work permit and it does not guarantee the possibility to apply for permanent residence.

Work Permit Applications

There are various programs that allow you to work in Canada for a limited period of time. These are listed below.



Image by Naassom Azevedo

International Experience Canada (IEC)

Allows youth (18-35 yrs) to gain valuable work experience and travel in Canada.

 To participate to an IEC program 

Your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit

 Recognized Organization 

You may be able to use a Recognized Organization if your country of citizenship does not have an agreement with Canada


International Experience Canada (IEC)

Image by Roberto Nickson

With a Working Holiday Visa you will have the opportunity to explore Canada while working in your favourite Canadian city. The length of time depends on your country of citizenship.

Working Holiday Visa*

Image by Icons8 Team

Young Professional

Just like the WHV, the Young Professional program lets you explore Canada while gaining professional work experience.

To apply for the program you must have a job offer and work for the same employer during the duration of your stay Canada.

Image by Andrew Neel

International Co-Op Internship

If you’re a college or university student and currently have a job offer, internship or work placement, then you may be able to qualify for an International Co-Op Internship.

 *Where are you from? 

Contact Us to find out if you’re eligible for the program and to learn more about the requirements.

You can also check out the Government of Canada’s website to see if your home country currently

has agreements with Canada.


Image by Jordan Rowland

If you have qualifying work experience you may be able to qualify for a tempory work permit and permanent residence as a caregiver:

 Home Child Care Provider Pilot 

 Home Support Worker Pilot 

 Live-in Caregiver program 

Image by Muhammad Rizwan
Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

If you are a graduate of a designated learning institution, you may be able to apply for a temporary open work permit.

The time for which a PGWP is valid depends on the length of your program of study.

PGWP Eligibility

If your program was:

 Less than 8 months: not eligible 

 More than 8 months but less than 2 years: it may be valid for up to the same length of your study program (e.g. if you graduate after 10 months of study, then your PGWP will last for up to 10 months) 

 2 years or more: a work permit may be issued for 3 years 

 Please Note 

Not all learning institutions or online courses are eligible for a post-graduation work permit.

Always contact the educational institution to verify if your program of choice qualifies for a PGWP.

  • What are biometrics?
    Biometrics are biological measurements used for identification. Submitting biometrics includes giving fingerprints and facial measurements to law enforcement agents for security reasons.
  • Do I need to give biometrics?
    You may need to give biometrics depending on the country you’re coming from and the type of permit you’re applying for. Find out if you’re required to give biometrics through the following link.

Learn more about Temporary Foreign Workers Program

bottom of page